Skip to main content

Turtle Babies

I think I have mentioned on the blog before how much my mom LOVES sea turtles. She has a slight obsession. Anyway, a couple of years ago she discovered a group called S.C.U.T.E. that basically is a group of volunteers in South Carolina that goes out each day, looks for turtle nests and then watches for the turtles to hatch. SCUTE stands for South Carolina United Turtle Enthusiasts. They have a facebook page that they use to tell you where nests are that have been laid, when they are hatching or have hatched and allow you to be a part of it.

After the mama turtle lays the nest, the volunteers place protection around it and it basically sits for about 55-60 days. It looks like this after they finish their work:

Another cool fact is that the eggs are laid gender-neutral and the temperature of the sand determines their sex. Boys are in the cool sand..."cool guys" and the females are in the hotter sand..."hot females".

Anyway, after the little turtles hatch, the volunteers plan to excavate the nest 2-3 days later. Excavation means that they dig up the nest to see how many empty egg shells are their (how many turtles hatched) and if there are any babies stuck in the sand that haven't been able to get out. They are trying to see the percent success of the nests and try to improve on the success of the nests throughout the year. 

My mom, Ryan and I went to an excavation when we were at the beach last week. They were able to find 2 babies that were stuck in the nest. They passed a bucket with the baby turtles in it around so that everyone could have a peek at them and then they dumped the turtles out and we all watched as they made their journey to the water.

SCUTE volunteers digging up the nest


Mom...aka "The Turtle Whisperer"

Baby turtles

Another picture of the turtles

Baby turtles just dumped...in upper right corner...do you see them??? So small...

Go, go, go

Keep going....

It was a neat experience. Last year, some of the girls in my family and myself got to witness a nest hatch at night with about 80 of the little babies coming out. It was awesome, but no flash photography allowed.

Mom, Ryan and I went out to eat at the beach at my favorite place down there, Franks. We were celebrating Ryan's promotion...way to go, Ry!!

Mom and I before dinner

My love and me

It was a fun couple of days!!! You know, I love the beach. And, turtles. And, Ryan. And, spending time with my mom. So, all around...a great time!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Jackson's Nursery

We are awaiting baby Jackson's arrival right now at 39 weeks and 4 days:) so, why not pass the time by sharing a few pictures of his nursery? We cannot wait to meet him and Ryan thinks that with the zoo/jungle theme we have going on in the nursery, Jackson is destined to be a zoo keeper.....we will see! I have had so much fun decorating and putting together his little room and I hope he loves it!!! Here is his crib with letters we made and a mirror that i love!!! His crib is from Target and the bedding is from Serena and Lilly  We got the letters from hobby lobby and then hot glued zoo animals onto the letters and the orange ribbon I was really into bamboo shades and love the way the windows turned out with the brown and white combo. His changing table is a dresser we got from the Pottery Barn outlet and then we got the cover from a shop on Etsy Ryan's dad repainted this rocking chair for Jackson. It was the chair that Ms. Cindy rocked Ryan and his brothe...

10 things...

I am such a copy-cat today, but I love this idea! My favorite, Beth Moore, started this on her blog,  and then I noticed my girls, Alyssa and Kathyrn did it on their blogs too. I am learning so many new things about people and, naturally, I need to do it now! Here are the directions: What are 10 things - right off the top of your head - that we would only know about you if we knew you really well? 10 random things ranging anywhere on your personal map that make you a tad distinctive? Or just plain weird? Think quickly. Don't go for deep. Go for quirky. Don't try to put them in any kind of order and don't make them long. Just start typing. Since this is the Reese blog, I will attempt to do it for both of Ryan and myself.... Anna: 1. I hate to shave. Freshman year of college, I only shaved once a week and my friends and people I worked with tried to straighten me out with weekly "armpit checks"...sick, but true. 2. I love zits, abscesses, blood blisters---an...

Vacay to the BVI

Ryan and I went for a vacation a couple of weeks ago to celebrate our 5 year anniversary. Our anniversary is not until August, but sometimes, things get crazy in the summer. So, we decided to take an early trip in April. We went to Biras Creek in Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands. It was gorgeous!!! The only bad part was that it went by WAY TOO fast!!! The place was beautiful, quiet and so relaxing. I finally read The Hunger Games and so did Ryan. We enjoyed amazing meals that were prepared for us three times daily, blue skies and even bluer water, and some quality time with each other. It was such a blessing and came at a perfect time. Such a great opportunity to take a moment to stop and remember how much we love one another. Our favorite experience was snorkeling with a guy named Wayne from the resort. He took us to a few different reefs in the middle of the Caribbean ocean and we would jump off the boat and snorkel. It is amazing how many different colors or coral...