Skip to main content

Chicago!!!!

What a great trip to Chicago, Il!!! We had a blast!! It was a crazy whirlwind of a weekend, but so great.

Thursday, I headed to Chicago and Quin met me at the airport to take me to their house. They live about 30 minutes outside of the city of Chicago in the cutest little area ever! It was pretty late, so after some conversation, we went to bed. Friday, I was able to spend most of the day just lounging and playing with Acie and Mae Harmon. We watched some movies, played outside and they showed me some of their favorite spots around town. I loved just being with them and spending some time. Acie doesn't sit much so the only pictures of him are him climbing on something or doing some Justin Beiber moves or working on his handstand....

Ryan got there Friday night. On Saturday morning, we went to a bagel shop and then took our breakfast out to the lake. The lake there looks like our beach...it is huge and beautiful and a little calmer. Then, we all went to Acie's first soccer game. He did great!!!

Handstand pic of Acie :)

Acie and Mae Harmon...not sure about Acie in this pic

Uncle Ryan and Acie

One handed!!!!

Before breakfast

Angie with the kids...Mae Harmon looks like a scarecrow in this one.

Mae Harmon and B

Quin, me and the kids


Acie in his uniform ready for the game

 After the soccer game, R and I headed into the city to eat dinner and get ready for the Half Marathon the next morning. It was super crazy because we left the game at 2 to get the train. The train didn't come and then Angie had to drive us across town to another train because we were having to get into the city by 5 to pick up our race packets. The other train got us into the city around 4:30 and we had to get a cab to truck it to the Navy Pier to get our packets. So, we are running through the Navy Pier which is like a big fair with restaurants with our suitcases trying to make it on time. We did make it with about 3 minutes to spare, but it was really stressful.

The city was beautiful and the weather was great. We got to see some of the Carolina game before dinner (such a good game!) and then went to eat at a great little Italian restaurant. The Best Lasagna EVER!!! Then, we got some rest to get ready for our 4:30 wake-up the next morning.

Picture of the city from the Navy Pier....this is the beautiful lake I was talking about..

Another city view...

On our drive through town

On race day, we woke up early because we had to catch the train by 5:30. You would not believe all the people trying to get a seat on the train!!! But, we were able to find some seats and make it to the race spot. We started the race at 7 Sunday morning. It was a really cool sight with all the racers and fans wearing red, white and blue in remembrance of September 11th. 

The race was TOUGH. My knee was seriously hurting something awful and Ryan started having these extreme toe cramps, but we made it with a respectable time. I actually prayed about my knee and the Lord gave me what I needed to get through. Also, saw the back of a lady's shirt quoting Philipians that said, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me", so I tried to think on that. But, 13 miles is a pretty long way!  

We made it and we were so incredibly proud of each other. We stayed with each other the whole way and it was a sweet experience of just living life together and experiencing a challenge together. There were so many people encouraging the racers along the way and also some great music here and there that pushed us to the finish line. We got some neat medals and then had to book it out of there to catch our plane!!!

Before the race....love the shirts they gave us!!!

Ryan with his "game face" on :)

Such an awesome trip!!! We loved Chicago!!!

Comments

  1. SO proud of you!!!! So neat that you did it together!! You give me inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Shame Game

Ashamed. That is one of the main feelings I can use to describe how I have felt this week. Ashamed. When my 4 year old fought against 3, yes 3, grown medical professionals trying to obtain a strep test (which he did have). I saw the looks they exchanged as he bit the tongue depressor and gritted his teeth and made their job a living nightmare. Ashamed. When it was my two boys fighting that caused the other little boy to run and tell his mom that they were making his play time not so much fun and then they left. I felt like I saw a look that she gave me too. Ashamed. As I carried two bawling, boneless children through Publix trying to get to my car after they pitched royal fits through most of the checkout line. I saw the look my grocery cart helper and an older lady walking by exchanged as they took in my helpless state against the two raging children. Ashamed. When I lost it on my 6 year old who needed me to stay in the room so he could go to sleep when I was trying to

On Faith and Suffering

Suffering....it is not an easy thing to bear up under. I feel that as life goes on, I am seeing more and more suffering around me. I have recently been through a tough season in my life. In the midst of difficult circumstances, it has caused me to look to God and question at times. I think sometimes in the Christian life, we are told, “Don’t question. Just believe. God is good all the time.” This, of course, is true but I think there is true beauty in the wrestling. In the coming out on the other side having a deeper faith because of where God has taken you on the journey. I have recently been reading in Hebrews and like God does, He somehow lined up the Scriptures and where I was reading to answer some of my questions right in the face. Questions like... “Why do people who love you have to suffer?” “I understand suffering is for your glory, but we already love you and are about your glory so do we have to go through it?” “Are you really big enough? Good? Faithful?” “Is it

Showering Our Baby!!!

Can I just say that we are so excited to meet baby Jackson??!! I am at 35 weeks today, so it may be only 5 weeks away.....woo hoo!!! One of the reasons that I am so excited is that we have had so many kind, generous, thoughtful friends who have given us wonderful gifts and showers for this baby boy. We have had a fun time celebrating him with all of these sweet, sweet people!!! Our first shower was a work shower that the people at my office threw for us. It was really sweet. They made wonderful food, complete with a baby fruit display :) They gave us cute clothes, gift cards, diapers and wipes and the Snap and Go stroller!!! They really were too, too generous!!! Baby fruit :) Beautiful ribbon for the hospital door Delicious cake!!! Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate....mmmmm!!! Sweet basket full of goodies from them The whole crew after the shower Some of the people of our community group and that we have gotten to know through church threw us a couple s